Thursday, June 21, 2012

Day 2

This is Kelcy reporting for Tanzania interns.
After being up for almost two days, and having less than 6 hours of sleep in the last 48, we finally got to sleep last night. The missionaries made sure to not let us sleep when we arrived until it was a decent sleeping hour. Which was for the purpose of letting us adjust from the jetlag easier. So, when we first met everyone, we were pretty much zombies. So maybe our first impressions were a little off. A good nights rest was very much appreciated, and me and Natalie successfully shared a twin bed. We also got to shower yesterday and after 24 hours of travelling, I have never been so happy to shower in my life!
Today, we went to a museum in a nearby village where we learned about the largest tribe in Tanzania, the Sukuma tribe. It was very interesting and informational about the culture and the way they live. At the end of the tour, some of the people in the village performed traditional dances for us. They played many various drums (with some very awesome, complicated rhythms) and had many different costumes. We all loved it! The dancers were so happy to share their culture with us. As they were dancing, some of the village children were off to the side mimicking everything the dancers did. So we basically got two different shows, because the children were hilarious to watch.
During the performance, a little boy with a limp leg and some kind of handicapped arm came up to me and put his hand on my knee. He kept saying something to me over and over, but of course I couldn't understand him yet because we haven't learned much language at all. So I just held out my hand for him to hold and he stayed for a little while. I even got a smile or two out of him. I can't wait to be able to somewhat communicate, although I'm also nervous about that aspect as well.
At the end of the performance, a man went to a box and pulled out a giant python. No big deal.
He was dancing with it and showing it off then he motioned for me to come over to him. So hesitantly, I went over and held the snake beast. It was terrifying and exciting at the same time. But Natalie, Bryan, and I all held it and we have pictures to prove it that we will upload later.
Tomorrow we leave for Geita (we have been staying in Mwanza to rest up). We are all very eager to get to our destination and see what lies ahead. But nevertheless, we are all loving Tanzania!

1 comment:

  1. Your grandma Lavon would have screamed and said, "PUT THAT DOWN"! :) Be safe! Love you, Aunt Heather

    ReplyDelete